THE ROBERT STEPHENSON TRUST, c/o The North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, Neville Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 1SE Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1859 map of the Engine Works Works.
The RS & Co.'s works commenced life at the southern end of South Street on its eastern
side abutting Hanover Street then in 1825 it spread to the west side of South Street
and northwards. By 1859 when this plan was surveyed the works had taken all available
land up to Burrell's iron foundry.
It should be noted that this plan shows the original alignment of Forth Street prior
to the North Eastern Railway's acquisition of land to enlarge their station area.
This resulted in Forth Street being moved southwards at its eastern end. At this
time there was no rail access to the works due to the position of the railway's engine